Are you a technology leader and want to work for a technology-led company that is transforming an industry? Do you enjoy working in a flexible, agile environment, with core values of transparency, trust and continuous improvement, where people are first and core to how we build software?
Our Engineering department is going through a rapid phase of growth, and we're looking for passionate Engineering Managers to help us shape our growing engineering culture, help your teams deliver great products and create more value for our platforms! You'll have end-to-end ownership of delivery and quality of what your teams produce.
At Motorway, individuals and teams are given the freedom and remit to set themselves up for success. Are you focussed on getting things done and putting your colleagues first?
What you’ll do
- Lead 1-2 cross-functional agile teams of engineering to develop, test and deliver high quality software using agile principles and methodologies
- Mentor and promote career growth by providing feedback, learning & development opportunities to your team
- Oversee the design, development, testing and release of features using engineering best practices
- Serve as a technology leader with a strong focus on quality, performance, reliability, scalability & maintainability
- Own the delivery and quality of what your teams produce
- Work closely with Product Managers, in a partnership, to build the roadmaps that the teams will deliver against
- Instil excellence and continuously improve the processes, methodologies, standards and technology choices embraced by the team
- Capturing metrics and reporting to help guide continuous improvement.
- Drive design and planning activities by removing ambiguities, resolving dependent question and providing high level engineering estimates
We encourage you to apply, even if you might not meet all the requirements. You’ll be directly reporting to the Head of Engineering.
- An Engineering Manager who embraces servant leadership principles
- View team success as your number one goal!
- Lead by example, support your team and prioritise their success above your own
- Experience in leading a high performing agile team with a history of delivery
- Lead and coached Engineers to be better every day - Kaizen! Continuous Improvement
- Expertise in agile and their adoption within teams - you’re at home looking at metrics around cycle time as well as encouraging collaboration within a team.
During the interviews, there will be a few major areas covered:
- Technical Domain Excellence - Have and can you help teams make design and architecture decisions?
- Problem solving and coding - You no longer need to get your hands dirty with code, unless you want to, but you should still be able to understand and help your teams work on problems
- Driving Results - At the end of the day, an Engineering Manager is a force multiplier. You’re there to help your team deliver.
- People Leadership - Everything an Engineering Manager does comes back to your people. How have you helped your people become better humans and Engineers?
- Motivation and Values - This is a key leadership hire that will help shape Motorway for the coming years while we transform an industry!
- A competitive salary.
- Significant stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team - we want you to be included in our success
- £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- BUPA health insurance.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Hybrid working (approximately 2 days in the office a week).
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories.
- Regular social events.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing, revenue-generating startup and build products that will change an industry.
- The chance to work with the latest and greatest technologies, free from legacy systems and red tape.
- If you’re into cars, opportunities to work with vehicle data and learn about the automotive industry. We also have some fun, car-related activities (as well as non-car fun too!
Equal opportunities statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.