Motorway is growing its technology team and business, and as part of our growth we’re now looking to hire Tech Leads to help lead our Engineering Squads!
As a Tech Lead you will work closely with our senior engineers, as well as coach and mentor your team to ensure the timely delivery of features and architecture changes. You will be the technical point of contact for the team, ensuring code quality, promoting good practices and improving existing systems and processes to ensure stability, security, and performance of our platforms.
You will work in a cross-functional squad (Product Managers, Design Leads, and Engineers) to deliver new platforms and solve some interesting problems in the industry!
- Overall responsible for the architecture, design, code quality, platform stability and resilience of the features your team produces - you don’t do it all, you work with your team to make it happen!
- Work with your team to scope complex tasks and projects, working closer with the Product Manager to break them down into smaller, tangible tasks and stories
- Mentor and help grow other engineers
- Partner with your Product Manager and Engineering Manager to help with decisions around prioritisation, work division, goal setting and tech debt
- Develop new features - at least 50% of your time, preferably 70% should be writing new features
- Engineer a better code base with your team
- Help evolve development standards and processes
- Model the behaviour you want to see in the team
We encourage you to apply, even if you might not meet all the requirements
- Excellent communication skills. You're capable of bridging the gap between engineering and stakeholders.
- You are autonomous, reliable and accountable.
- Demonstrable experience leading technical teams.
- Experience planning and confirming technical specs for features or system design (Convert requirements from stakeholders to tasks that need to be implemented).
- Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
- You enjoy helping other Engineers become better Engineers
- Be hands-on with development teams, you’ll understand what good code looks like and see the bigger picture, taking architecture into consideration with a DevSecOps mindset.
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential.
- A competitive salary.
- Significant stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team - we want you to be included in our success
- £500 annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- BUPA health insurance.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Hybrid working (approximately 2 days in the office a week).
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories.
- Regular social events.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing, revenue-generating startup and build products that will change an industry.
- The chance to work with the latest and greatest technologies, free from legacy systems and red tape.
- If you’re into cars, opportunities to work with vehicle data and learn about the automotive industry. We also have some fun, car-related activities (as well as non-car fun too!
Equal opportunities statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.
Lead Backend Engineer